OVEREST is the area to the west of Cray Avenue (Arterial Rd) as is Cray Valley Road it is mainly housing there are some shops. There is a shopping area called Marion Crescent which, actually, is the largest parade of shops to survive in the St. Mary Cray area. There were two public houses The Bridge House and The Seven Styles now redeveloped. At the Poverest end there was an area called, colloquially, Slopers Island which was a small housing estate for the workers of papermills that were along the River Cray. Also here was Dippers Slip which could refer to a slipway for boats or shallow crossing of the river. Many of the roads in this area are named after characters from the legend of Robin Hood, apparently before redevelopment there was a field called Robin Hoods Field. There was also a Poverest Farm. It is possible that the name Poverest is a corruption of the name of the original manorial owner of land "Margaret de Pouery".
The file on the right is an article on Slopers Island written by Graham Wootton
If you right click "Download File" and choose Open in new tab you will stay with this site
Corner of Bridge Road/Poverest Road. Solomon Epsom who was sadly killed in the Handcross Motor Bus Accident, 1906.
Cray Valley Rd, where the Bridge House once stood
Pilgrims , formerly the Bridge House
There are some industrial premises along Cray Valley Rd, printers, ink and paint makers among them. The area is bordered at its highest area by Chislehurst Road the main junction here is the Poverest Roundabout also to the north the railway line creates another boundary. At the lower end of Poverest Rd are some Roman excavations, apart from these the main development is from the 1900s.
Bridge House with Oast Houses
Bridge House from above
The Seven Stiles
Corner Bridge Rd. varied history: Industrial clothing, motoring accessories. Intended as a Public House when built.
Coronation Hall, corner Bridge Road and Fordcroft Road
Image description of Roman bathhouse
Entrance to Poverest Park
Rampore Cottages 1882
South side of St. Mary Cray Station built for the new estates. Before the 1930s there was only one entrance in Station Approach on the North side.